Music lovers, film-goers and comedy buffs – keep reading. This week North by North East or NXNE is happening in Toronto, Ontario. Musicians are playing all over the city, films are getting their Canadian debuts and comedians will be doing their thing throughout the festival as well.
As a Montrealer, the best way to get to Toronto for your wallet is usually via megabus which will drop you off downtown Toronto. I would definitely recommend using AirBnB to find a room for rent, and you might even be lucky enough to find a place to share with other NXNE-goers. As the festival is occurring simultaneously across many venues, I would also recommend familiarizing yourself with a map of Toronto. This can help you avoid walking over 1 km between venues as I did at Canadian Music Week, which had a similar set up.
There are so many amazing artist and too many cool venues to check out. This festival does require a bit of forethought when it comes to choosing which acts to see. Due to the fact that it’s impossible to be in more than one place at once, I thought I would narrow down my choices to a top five:
1. Zola Jesus; Wednesday June 17th at Lee’s Palace, 12:00am
2. #paper100; features many Paper Bag Records artists on Thursday June 18th , check out the event here
3. Busty and The Bass; Friday June 19th at The Garrison, 6:00pm
4. Born Ruffians; Friday June 19th at Younge Dundas Square, 8:30pm
5. The New Pornographers; Saturday June 20th at Younge Dundas Square, 9:00pm
For full ticket information you can head over to nxne.com. You can also check out what else is going on during the festival on the site, or if you are a mobile user there is an app available for the festival.